People often hire a gutter company and have no idea what constitutes their drainage system and what the parts of their gutter system even are.
In this post we will inform and educate you about your home’s guttering system so that you can identify when they need to be fixed.
Let us start with what gutters are made from
#1 – Gutters are made of aluminum sheets
- The best companies will use a .23 gauge aluminium from a good manufacturer. Our company Joens exteriors will custom make a seamless gutter right on site. We use a 5 ton cube van and machine to roll the aluminum and fit it to your home.
- An important part of the gutter is the end caps, and the corner junction. As these are added to the gutter on site and caulked to form part of your gutter they can be prone to failure, and may cause leaks.
- The aluminum gutter is held to the fascia board with a hanger. The hanger is a pretty key part in the system, and should be made of good quality as well. The gutter is screwed into the fascia board using a 1.5inch stainless steel screw.
#2 – Downspouts and Elbows:
- Another vital component of your guttering system is the downpipes and elbows. Downpipes come in various shapes and sizes. The most common size is 2.5” x 2.5” or square downpipe. Most homes that are 10 years old may have 2”x2” square downpipes. These pipes tend to clog up easier as they are just smaller.
- Downpipes are also made in a rectangular shape or 2”x3”. These downpipes have various types of elbows including A and B style elbows. They are a pain in the butt to service and replace and tend to cost more.
- A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that if you see moss or mildew coming through the pipes or elbows then you may want to consider calling in the experts to take a look at them. This is a sing they are leaking and not doing their job effectively.
- The downspouts are connected to the gutter with a plastic outlet. This plastic outlet is then screwed into the gutter and caulked to hold it in place. The plastic outlet will have a small basket at the top to prevent leaves and debris from falling into the downpipe and down to your drain tiles.
- It is important to note that the plastic does breakdown over time and will eventually break off rendering and the entire downpipe with it.
Affordable Gutter Repair
A common question we get asked is how much does it cost to repair my gutter system. Well the answer is ‘it depends’.
A good company will take the time to set up an onsite estimate and do a 360 degree evaluation of your system. They will then present their inspection to you and give you the best unbiased advice to help you in making your decision.
Sometimes it is cheaper to replace the system than to keep spending money to fix an old failing gutter system.
Best Gutter Repair
At Jones Exteriors we pride ourselves as journeyman tradesman. Our motto is to treat every customer as if they were our grandparents. Our training and experience give us the qualifications and skills to spot issues prior them even happening.
We feel we provide the best gutter repair service in Victoria BC and stand behind our words with our industry leading warranty.
We seek first to repair system prior to replacing with our quality seamless gutters in Victoria BC, however, at times it may be required to replace them.
Our seamless gutters, prevent leaks as they do not have any joints or seams like a traditional gutter.
Seamless gutters also give your home an even more completed and improved look considering that the seamless gutter system is among the newest trends in the gutter industry.Seamless rain gutters are great since they are a single continuous piece of gutter instead of several pieces of rain gutter.
At Jones Exteriors you can select from aluminum, metal, copper and other materials to complement your home. Contact Jones Exteriors seamless gutter contractors for a completely free bid on your home right now!